“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 20 March 2015

Celebrating the International Day of Happiness

This morning, when I turned on Facebook, a friend announced that today is the International Day of Happiness, and asked: "What makes you feel happy?" And it was lovely to stop and reflect about, and be grateful for, the many things that do make me feel happy. I found that the things that make me feel happy are a regular mixture of mundane and more uplifting:

the Bluebird of Happiness

  • a good stretch, whether physical, intellectual, or spiritual
  • a mug of coffee and a bar of Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate (yes, I have plebeian taste in chocolate, and I'm proud of it!)
  • spending Boxing Day (or Christmas Day Number Two, as my mother calls it), with my parents, our family, and my sister's family
  • sunlight sparkling on water
  • getting my teeth into a fresh to-do list
  • a good book, and time to curl up and lose myself in it
  • a handclasp or hug from a friend
  • the glingle on my phone that means a call or text from my DB or my children
  • walking through green woods and meadows
  • talking about my beloved Unitarianism
  • the poetry and prose of John O'Donohue
  • an unexpectedly cancelled meeting
  • the sight of mountains or the sea, taking my breath away
  • the satisfaction of seeing a picture begin to take shape out of the cross stitches
  • being listened to or listening, respectfully and deeply
  • the weight of a purring cat on my knees and the feel of her soft fur beneath my hand
  • the gift of writing
  • being absorbed in a zen doodle
  • lying back in a hot, soaky bath, with a good book
  • exploring a new city with my best beloved
And I am so very grateful for all these things. Having thought about them, and written them down, I hope I'll be able to revisit them if ever I feel down, and smile at the thought of them. Your list will no doubt be different. On this special day, what make you feel happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment