“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Thursday 6 October 2016

On the Move Again

Those of you who know me "in the flesh" will know that I have been suffering with a bad knee for the last couple of years, and have been unable to run.

Which has depressed me no end, because for me, running was the great stress-buster in my life. After a run, I always felt on top of the world, and up for anything. But my physio drily pointed out that I had a choice - carry on running, and book in for a replacement knee operation in five years' time, or find something else to do.


So I've found something else to do. I joined a gym in mid-July, and since mid-September, I have hooked up with a Personal Trainer. It's costing me an arm and a leg, but I looked up the cost of smoking recently, and to have one hour-long session with a personal trainer every week costs the same as smoking ten Silk Cut Silver a day.

Understandably, I have decided to burn fat rather than burning tobacco! And I'm loving it! Loving stretching my body, using muscles which haven't been challenged for years, working up a sweat, and generally Going For It. In fact, my trainer keeps on reining me in, as he is concerned that I am going to injure myself if I am too "neck or nothing" in my approach. So I'm being good and doing what I'm told. I go to the gym four times a week, and see my trainer on a Monday morning, which sets the tone for the rest of the week. He's also told me to eat more healthily, which I'm trying to do.


What I'm also loving is the link between moving my body and looking after her, treating her as a temple rather than a dustbin, and my overall mood. My body is *loving* getting back to regular exercise, and I am much happier, more serene, as a result. I am also finding it easier to meditate in the mornings, since I have discovered Head Space.

Mind, body, spirit, they are all connected. We need to remember this more often ... or at least I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment