“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Sunday 14 July 2019

Just Write

Yesterday, I attended my first ever Writing Retreat, organised by Writers' HQ. It started and 10.00 am and went on until 4.00 pm. There were hot and cold drinks on tap, and we stopped for two 15 minute breaks and one 45 minute lunch break. Apart from that, it was eleven writers, sitting around a square of tables with their laptops or notebooks, and just writing. We were asked to declare our goals at the beginning of the day, and I achieved mine comfortably. At the end of the day, I felt like this;



It was such a joy to be able to spend a whole day writing - no distractions, no phonecalls, no Wifi. Just writing.

And there are retreats for all kinds of creative talents going on around the country. A friend of mine recently attended a week-long icon writing retreat, and has come home with an exquisite icon of Christus Victor. And I know friends who have been on sewing retreats and created marvellous things.

I am so grateful to the people who organise these events, and allow people like me to "follow their bliss" in the words of Joseph Campbell. It would not have occurred to me that I could write for so long. And I was typing at my normal speed.

Of course, it was only first draft stuff but, nevertheless, I managed to get my ideas down on paper (or at least in Word document) and came away feeling fulfilled and proud, but also very tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment