“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 11 October 2019

Small Pleasures

This week's quotation is by Johannes Kepler, a 17th century German astronomer and mathematician, whose books on planetary motion and other astronomical matters I catalogued when I was on my placement year at the Royal Greenwich Observatory, then at Herstmonceux Castle in East Sussex. He had an influence on many of his peers and successors, including Isaac Newton.



(portrait Wikimedia commons.org)

He wrote, "Hundert kleine Freuden sind tausendmal mehr wert als eine Grosse." Which being translated, means, "A hundred little joys are worth a thousand times more than one big one."


And I believe he's right. If we are awake and aware enough to notice the small pleasures of every day, our underlying happiness will surely be greater than if we are only lifted out of our doldrums by one big happy event.

There used to be a blog called 'Three Beautiful Things', now sadly defunct, in which the author posted daily about three things which had attracted her attention as 'beautiful'. I used to read it daily, and gained an appreciation of the practice of searching for small, everyday pleasures which would lift my spirits.

Today, for example, I have asked a friend a favour, and she has responded positively and enthusiastically. And I'm going to get round to clearing the desk in my study, which has been cluttered and distracting for too long. This afternoon, I intend to spend crocheting a baby blanket, which is turning out really well so far.

Three small pleasures, all in one day. Why not give it a try? If it worked for Kepler, and it works for me, maybe it will work for you...


No comments:

Post a Comment