“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Monday 30 December 2019

The Art of Giving Presents

This week's quotation is by A.A. Milne, author of the Winnie the Pooh books. It reads, "The art of giving presents is to give someone something that they cannot buy." Which reminds me of the episode In which Eeyore has a Birthday and gets Two Presents. Which turn out to be an empty honey jar (Pooh got hungry on the way) and a burst balloon (Piglet tripped up).


Here is the gorgeous E.H. Shepard illustration, which proves A.A. Milne's point beautifully... taken from my own copy of The World of Pooh. Eeyore could have bought some honey, he could have bought a balloon, but he had much more fun playing with the unintended results of his friends' accidents.

The art of giving presents is to give someone something that they cannot buy. Like a hug, or a smile, or the gift of real presence. Or your time... spent doing an errand for someone, or looking after a child to give them a break. Or a coffee to cheer someone up. Presence is far more important than presents.

I've had a gorgeous Christmas and have had some wonderful presents.... but the best thing of all has been spending time with my husband, my son, my daughter and her fiancé. Plus Boxing Day with the extended family.


photo by Henry Richards

And the gift from myself - a week off work, so that I have had time to enjoy the presents I have received. I've spent a considerable amount of time reading, and producing a detailed map of my imaginary world, Veylindre. And watching Christmas programmes and well-loved films with Maz and David. And finishing my latest shawl...

This has been a useful reminder, that there are so many things that money cannot buy, which are more precious than all the roc's eggs in the world.

I wish all my friends and family a very Happy and Blessed 2020, with all the time you need to spend with those you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment