“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 31 January 2020

Staying Focused

"The small rooms or dwellings direct the spirit to the goal; the large ones distract it." This quotation, by Leonardo da Vinci, could be interpreted in so many ways...


Is it that the small rooms have less to distract us, so that our focus remains on the goal?

Are the small rooms like breadcrumbs in Hansel and Gretel, each one giving us another clue about the road home?

Is it like the Quakers say, "A simple lifestyle, freely chosen, is a source of strength"?

I can see how a large room or dwelling, filled with many things, could distract the spirit from its goal. But a large room or dwelling that is minimalistic or even empty, would have few distractions...

So I don't quite understand what da Vinci meant by small rooms or dwellings *directing* the spirit...

So this is less a blogpost with a message, than a blogpost with questions. Any answers would be most welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment