“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 26 June 2020

Luminous Moments

"Moons and years pass and are gone forever, but a beautiful moment shines through our whole lives." This quote, by Franz Grillparzer, resonates withe me.


Like Archimedes in his bath, these 'Eureka' moments change how we see the world, how we understand it. We might be moving along in our life journey, placidly admiring the landscape, when suddenly, something presents itself to our senses and understanding and... our world has changed. How we live in it has changed. How we perceive it has changed.

And this may be a positive experience, or it may be a negative one, but it is never, ever neutral. Whatever it is, it matters to us sufficiently to change how we live and love and are in the world. These luminous moments come in all shapes and guises. They may come when we are out in nature, and suddenly appreciate its beauty and complexity like never before. Or they may come in conversation with others.

Most of my luminous moments, the moments that have changed my life, have come through reading the words of others.  I consider myself so blessed. Books have been my companions, my teachers, my inspiration, and my guides, as I have journeyed through life to where I am now. Few things give me greater delight than the discovery of a new book that makes me think; that makes me see the world and everything in it in a new light.



In his introduction to Mister God, This is Anna, Vernon Sproxton speaks of Ah! Books, "those which induce a fundamental change in the reader's consciousness. They widen his sensibility in such a way that he is able to look upon familiar things as though he is seeing and understanding them for the first time... Ah! Books give you sentences which you can roll around in the mind, throw in the air, catch tease out, analyse. But in whatever way you handle them, they widen your vision."

Where do you find your luminous moments? What experiences have changed your life?

1 comment:

  1. Bookbub is the best. Having 100+ reviews also does wonders for a book, you can try honestbookreview dot com for reviews. 100+ reviews also help with getting accepted with bookbub and other promotion sites.

    ReplyDelete