“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 9 July 2021

Finding Peace

I have just returned home from spending a couple of days on retreat with my covenant group. We are all Unitarian ministers, who meet together a couple of times a year (and inbetween via Zoom) for mutual support and spiritual sustenance.



It's the first time we have been able to meet in person for nearly two years and it was wonderful to spend some time together at Holland House (pictured above).  There was a lot to catch up on. 

Holland House is a Christian retreat centre in Worcestershire and has its own very peaceful atmosphere. When I arrive there, I can feel a sense of peace stealing into my soul, like it does every time I turn left into the entrance to the Nightingale Centre at Great Hucklow. And each time I walk up into Salcey Forest.



I think that everyone needs to have some place where they can let their hair down, be themselves, not have to put on any 'front', or pretend to be who they're not.  And some people who see us as we are. 

It is wonderful to be with people who know you 'warts and all' and like you in spite of, or even because of them. With people who will listen deeply and with compassion. Without judgement. Such friendship is a great blessing.

At their best, our Unitarian congregations are such places, such gatherings. 

Where do you find your place of rest? People who see and hear you deeply? Treasure them, for they feed our souls.






No comments:

Post a Comment