“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 4 March 2022

The Spirit of Liberty

 Each year, I buy a set of 53 postcards from Harenberg Kalender, which comprise a lovely image and an inspirational quote for each week of the year. And, although they couldn't have known it, this week's quotation, by the Renaissance author and philosopher Niccolo Machiavelli,  is most applicable: "The spirit of liberty no violence subdues, no time erases, no gift makes up for."



I am sure that you, like me, have been horrified by the Russian invasion of the Ukraine, by the violence which is going on there. My Facebook feed has been filled by reactions to this unjustified invasion of a democratic country. 

It is, perhaps, difficult to imagine what we can do in the face of such armed aggression. We have made a donation to the Red Cross appeal and this weekend I will be going through my wardrobe to sort out some clothing to take to a local collection point.

And, although "no gift makes up for" the loss of liberty, it might help those Ukrainians who have been forced to flee from the violence. 

The point is, we can all make a difference, however small, where we are. I came across a beautiful poem by the American poet, John Roedel, which both embraced his feelings of despair about this terrible war, but also shared some hope. He wrote, "I can't force peace on the world, but I can become a force of peace in the world, because sometimes all it takes is a single lit candle in the darkness to start a movement."

He suggests that "the only thing [we] can do is love the next person [we] encounter without any conditions or strings, to love our neighbor so fearlessly that it starts a ripple that stretches from one horizon to the next."

We may not, as individuals, be able to do much about the situation in Ukraine (although we can of course write to our MPs to ask that Ukrainian refugees will be made welcome here, make donations, take part in vigils and pray for peace, to give just four examples). But I do believe that we can all make a difference to the world in which we live by following Roedel's advice and loving the next person we encounter "without conditions or strings."

Because the power of unconditional love is enormous. If each one of us genuinely tried to love our neighbour, which means each person we meet, and to treat each one with the utmost equity and respect, to see each and every one of them as "unique, precious, a child of God", I believe it will make a positive difference, where we are. And who know where the ripples might end?








No comments:

Post a Comment