“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 29 July 2022

The Ideal Day

 The first century BCE Roman poet, Horace, once wrote, "The ideal day will never come. It is today, if we make it so."



Which made me think about what my own ideal day might look like. I would wake up early, naturally,  not through an alarm. The weather would be warm and sunny - ideal for taking a walk in Salcey Forest. So I would do my morning sit and then head out into the Forest's natural beauty. 

Refreshed, I would come back and write my Morning Pages before settling down to do some writing. And because it is my ideal day, the words would come easily and I would complete the latest scene for my novel, full of vivid colour and detail.

Then I would go back downstairs and do whatever work needed doing, being fully present to the needs of the day, after which I would be free to spend time on my latest crochet project. At the moment, I'm working on a throw for a friend, and am getting close to finishing it.

During the day, I would hear that the Russians have withdrawn from the Ukraine and that the United Nations has launched two initiatives, one to end world poverty and the other to combat climate change and that all the countries of the world had signed up to both. (well, I can dream...)

In the evening, pleasantly tired, I would sit with my husband in the lounge, watching a programme we both enjoy, with the cat purring on my lap. Then I would have a nice warm bath, before going to bed with a good book. 

I count myself blessed that this ideal day is often a truth, rather than an ideal. What does your ideal day look like?


No comments:

Post a Comment