“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 17 February 2023

You Can't Capture Happiness

 The 20th century German author Werner Mitsch, once wrote, "Happiness can only be captured by passing it on." (or paying it forward).


And I agree with what I think is the sentiment - that it is a good idea to make others happy by our kind deeds and words - but I do not believe that it is possible to "capture" happiness. In fact, I think that the more we strive to be happy, the more we pursue it, the more unlikely it is that we will find it.

In my experience, happiness is something that happens to me - I will be in a particular situation, perhaps spending time with loved ones, or out in the glorious beauties of nature, or sitting at my desk writing, or creating my latest crochet project, and Zing! I am full of happiness. But I am very clear that this is not due to my own efforts - I am the fortunate receiver of it. Like I said, I honestly do not believe you can capture happiness. 

But it is only too easy to let it pass us by, not notice it while it is happening, and then wonder why our lives seem to have lost their savour. I make a conscious effort to be open to it, and to appreciate it while it's there. 

I suppose there is one sense in which can capture happiness. That is, when we take a photo or write down our sensations, so that we can recall them later. I am currently writing a memoir of my life, called Compass Point Joy and the process has been a very happy one. I have looked back through old photographs and old journals and have remembered many small incidents which have brought me joy. Which I might not have recalled, had I not "captured" them in words or pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment