“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 26 May 2023

Life is a Mosaic

Daniel Spitzer, the 19th century Austrian journalist and satirist, once wrote, "Happiness is a mosaic picture made up of nothing but inconspicuos little joys."


And I agree with him, up to a point. Happiness can be made up of "inconspicuous little joys". But I'd like to extend the metaphor to encompass the whole of our lives, which can be compared with a mosaic in their rich variety - containing sorrows as well as joys.

Nearly 30 years ago, I was working on a cross-stitch sampler to commemorate the first ten years of my marriage. I wanted it to be a surprise for my husband, and spent every lunch-hour at work stitching away. It comprised a rectangle of  "quilted" squares, with the following words in the middle: "Marriage is a patchwork quilt: bits and pieces of two lives come together to form a new whole. Some meet perfectly at the corners, while others must be stretched to fit. The dark pieces set off the light, and the rough add texture to the smooth. And if Love is the thread that stitches the pieces together, it will last a lifetime."


And today, nearly three decades later, these words are as true as they were then. No-one's life is full of unalloyed joy. All of us have encountered pain, sorrow, grief and suffering, as well as joy, elation and happiness. Yet as the sampler says, "The dark pieces set off the light, and the rough add texture to the smooth." Exactly like a mosaic. 

I also think that the mosaic / patchwork quilt metaphors can remind us to step back and consider the whole picture, rather than being so focussed on a particular tessera / cotton patch / life event that we cannot see the whole. Cannot see the wonderful balance in our lives, or the presence of the Spirit. This stepping back can help us to detach from our emotions, to enable us to react in more skilful ways to stuff which happens to us. Or at least, so I have found.





No comments:

Post a Comment