After an unprecedented break of two months from blogging, I'm back. It's been an odd sort of Summer - I've been obsessed with completing a very complicated cross-stitch sampler, which I started just before Christmas, working on it in every spare moment, and (to be fair) thoroughly enjoying it. The end is now in sight. Which has meant that I've been neglecting nearly all the other areas of my life, to my own detriment.
I have been uneasily aware that letting go of my normal routine - writing, walking, blogging - has not been good for me. Last night, I began to read Brené Brown's new book, Strong Ground, and her opening anecdote reminded me that you have to work on your core to stay strong and grounded.
I have not been working on my core - not physically, not emotionally, not spiritually. I now realise that I need to recalibrate my activities, get myself back into balance. So this post is a pledge, that I'm going to blog every Friday or Saturday, walk or do some other exercise every day, and write every day (rather than only doing the minimum I need to do to fulfil my obligations). My poor Work In Progress has been languishing on my laptop for more than a month, untouched. I hope it is still there when I return to it, tomorrow.
I know it's not going to be easy, this recalibration. But I know that it will be so good for me, in every way. I'm going to re-read Gretchen Rubin's book Better Than Before, which is about forming good habits and letting go of bad ones.
I know that the next days and weeks are going to be tough. If you are a praying kind of person, please pray for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment