“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 15 February 2019

Digging Deep

When I turned the page of my calendar, and looked at this week's picture, I felt simple pleasure. I have always loved waterfalls - especially walking alongside them, and glorying in their beauty. This dates from early childhood holidays in mid-Wales, which always included a visit to Dolgoch Falls. My father used to spend many happy hours re-arranging the course of the stream, by building dams out of stones and slate, enthusiastically helped (or hindered) by my sister and me.


When I translated the text, I had to laugh, because it was exactly what I needed to hear, this week. The words are by Mark Aurel: "Blick in dich! Innern ist eine Quelle, die nie versiegt, wenn du nur zu graben verstehst."

Which being translated, means: "Look inside you! Inside there is a spring that never dries up, if only you know how to dig."

And I have had to dig, in recent weeks. Perhaps I am secretary of too many Unitarian bodies: the Warwickshire & Neighbouring Counties Monthly Meeting of Protestant Dissenting Ministers (our local ministers' meeting), the Midland Unitarian Association, the Unitarian Ministerial Fellowship, Northampton Unitarians, the Unitarian Peace Fellowship, and the Worship Studies Course Group. And they've ALL had meetings in the last three weeks. And there's another one to come, next Wednesday. It has meant a lot of travelling, and a lot of minute typing.

But I am not complaining. It has been my choice to put my hand up for these roles, because I know I am good at doing the secretary thing, and it is my way of contributing to the wider Unitarian community. And so I choose to dig deep, churn out the minutes, and follow up with the actions.

How do you dig deep for Unitarianism?


No comments:

Post a Comment