“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 8 February 2019

Understanding the Past

Stefan Zweig wrote: "Wer die Vergangenheit nicht versteht, versteht nichts wirklich." Which being translated, means: "Whoever does not understand the past, does not understand anything, really."


We are human beings, living in time, and hence have a natural bent for looking forward, rather than back. Our minds are generally on what we are about to do, planning for the future, anticipating it with either pleasure or dread.

But I have come to understand that if we do not deal with things which happened to us in the past, they can sneak up and catch us unawares in the present. For this reason, we do need to understand the past, our own past. Which means befriending our shadows, those dark, unacknowledged sides of ourselves we do not want to think about.

I blogged about this on my other blog, Gems for the Journey, in a post Befriending Our Shadow. I mentioned a book called The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford, which I would recommend to anyone who feels they are ready to do this hard, but very rewarding work.

This befriending process is often difficult and unpleasant, and is, for me, very much a work in progress. But thanks to my efforts, I now feel more whole, and have got better at standing back in hard situations, rather than jumping in and reacting straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment