“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Wednesday 25 September 2019

The Kindness of Strangers

Maz and I are just back from a wonderful ten day holiday in the German cities of Dresden and Leipzig - each very different to the other, but both fascinating.

And I have been struck by the great kindness of strangers on two occasions during our holiday. The first was last Monday. We had been using an elderly travel guide to Leipzig, which told us that the German National Library, and more specifically, the German Book and Writing Museum, was open on that day.



When we got there, it was closed. There were two people on duty at the desk (they were having some building work done, I think) and when my face fell at the news, they told us to go to the main Library and ask at the Information desk. This we did, and a wonderfully kind Librarian listened to my halting German, and said she thought it might be possible.

One phone call later, and we were given exclusive access to the Museum's permanent exhibition, which we had all to ourselves. They needn't have done it - it was quite clear that it was closed on a Monday. But she was kind, and let us in. And it was fantastic - a real highlight of the holiday. Highlights included a Gutenberg Bible and a Kelmscott Chaucer. I went back afterwards to thank her, and another librarian was on duty. But I *think* I managed to convey our gratitude. I hope so.

The second incident occurred at Heathrow Airport, when we were waiting for the minibus to take us back to our long-stay car park. When it arrived, Maz leapt forward to wave it down, and left his camera bag with all its cameras and lenses, plus his laptop lying on the ground. I hadn't noticed. But a kind gent who'd just got off picked it up and asked me, "Is this yours? I thought you were coming back for it."

Again, he needn't have done it. But he did.

So I am very, very grateful for the kindness of strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment