“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 27 September 2019

Using Our Gifts

This week's quotation is by Florence Nightingale. In translation, it reads, "If you are born with wings, you should do all you can to use them for flying."


The picture shows a ballet dancer, balancing gracefully on her toes. But ballet is definitely not my gift. Each of us is an unique human being, with our own unique gifts. But how often do we stand in our own light, paralysed by comparing ourselves with others? I know I do.

US President Theodore Roosevelt once said: "Comparison is the thief of joy." I've also heard that quote as "the thief of happiness". And it's so true. We can be feeling great about ourselves, and then compare what we are doing, who we are, with somebody else, and be instantly plunged into gloom. It's a bad trick our heads play on us, to keep us small and not brave. It prevents us from using our wings, from doing what gives us joy.

My particular Achilles' heel of comparison is reading other people's words, then believing that I couldn't ever write so brilliantly, so vividly, so why bother? I have to tell myself quite sternly that they are them and I am me, and that only I can write from my particular perspective. So I pick myself up, dust myself down and take up my pen (or keyboard) again.

Everyone has wings, particular gifts. Let's use them as best we can, to make the world a happier place, and ourselves happier, more fulfilled people.


No comments:

Post a Comment