“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 15 May 2020

Taking Time Out

Oh my goodness! This week's quotation, by Georg Christoph Lichtenberg,  really hit me where I live. "You should never have so much to do, that you never have time to reflect / meditate."



And I would guess that his words would resonate uneasily with many of us. It is very easy to be always on the go, always chasing the next item on the To Do list, and never taking time out to reflect, to meditate, to spend time with the Divine.

It is ironic that, the more we love our jobs, the more we see them as a vocation rather than a job, the less time we have just to do nothing. Do Nothing. Sit. Relax. Simply BE.

But it is vitally important to *make* that time. Because if we just carry on beavering away, not looking after ourselves, we will eventually burn out. And then wonder why...

Time for spiritual reflection, time out of our everyday lives, is such an important thing. It brings our lives back into balance, helps us to take a long, reflective look at the matters which are concerning us, and hopefully allows us to move back into our lives with lower stress levels.

I honestly believe that it doesn't matter what form this time out takes, so long as we have the Intention to step away completely. For me, a walk in the woods is a vital part of my life. As I walk, I notice God's creation all around me - the trees, the bushes, the wild flowers, the birds singing in the trees - so loud and present, but so difficult to spot! The photo below was a moment of grace - I really felt God's presence at that moment. And I try to spend 10 to 20 minutes in my bedroom, in front of my shrine, each morning, with my prayer beads.




 I know from experience that, if I lose the habit for a couple of weeks (which if I am honest, happens only too easily) I am more wound-up, more easily irritated, less relaxed, less able to give myself to others.

Our time out might be attending worship on a Sunday, or a Heart and Soul session in the week, or walking a labyrinth, or reading a spiritual / theological book and doing some quiet lectio divina. Or journalling. Or praying. Or yoga. It doesn't really matter, so long as we do it, preferably each day.

Our souls will love us for it.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sue. Finding a rhythem of prayer can take time to build into a habit. I love my prayer space first thing in the morning before breakfast. It helps to put my heart and mind inline with each other.

    Reply

    ReplyDelete