“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Sunday 2 August 2020

Living Like A Tree

Nazim Hikmet wrote, "Living like a tree, single and free, but fraternally like a forest, that is our longing."


Trees, it seems, have found the right balance between solitude and community. Each is splendidly alone, but also together in community. In these days of social distancing, with new lockdowns being announced in the North of England, it is a mind-set we would do well to adopt. Human beings are social creatures, and the solitude of the last few months has been difficult for many (to say the least). "Meeting" via Zoom or Skype or FaceTime is good, but it is no substitute for face-to-face interaction.

I have just spent three wonderful days with a dear friend. We have kept our distance, only sharing two hugs immediately after morning showers. But we sat at opposite corners of her living room and talked and laughed and were together. It made me realise how much I have missed face-to-face friendships.

Yet being alone is not the same as being lonely. Or it need not be. I have blogged about it here and here. To carry on the tree analogy, when we are alone, we can draw nourishment from the roots of our being, from books and meditation and time alone. When we are with others, we can appreciate the splendour of being in community, of sharing the sunlight of good conversation. Both are important, both can nourish our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment