“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Thursday 15 December 2022

Reaping What We Have Sown

 This week's quotation, by the great Medieval German poet, Gottfried von Strassburg, reads, "We must reap what we have previously sown and accept what the seed brings us."


We are all deeply interconnected with one another and with the rest of creation, so this is a good reminder that all of our actions and words have consequences. But we also have the God-given gift of free will, so we can try to ensure that our actions and words (the seeds we sow) lead to good consequences, for ourselves and for others.

And to appreciate that each deed or word we do or utter can have consequences that reach much further than we think they will. Our good deed or kind word may cause other people to respond with their own good deed or kind word to another, and so on out into the world. And if we do or say something bad, the same thing applies.

What I'm saying is, we are agents in our own lives and must be responsible for the consequences of our actions and words. And aware of the impact they might have on others. Which is what von Strassburg means by his words about "accept[ing] what the seed brings us." 


No comments:

Post a Comment