“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 28 April 2023

My Little Piece of Heaven

Marcel Proust, the French author of the famous In Search of Lost Time, advises us to "Always try to keep a little piece of heaven above your life."


And that is exactly what I have been doing this week. After getting this Sunday's service written and recorded (on Monday!) I set off on the long journey up the M6 to my best friend's cottage in Cumbria. Since then, I have enjoyed three gorgeous days in her good company, conversing, playing endless games of canasta, and sitting in the lounge crocheting. It has been peaceful and relaxing and good.

Coming up here has been my "little piece of heaven" for some time now. When I'm tired and frazzled after long weeks and months of solid work, she is kind enough to offer me a bolt hole, where the only thing I have to think about is enjoying her company.

Whenever I drive back home, there is the feeling of leaving behind a haven of peace and re-entering my real life. I'll be leaving tomorrow morning, as I have a service at Shrewsbury on Sunday. And that is good too. I am blessed in my vocation. But sometimes, just sometimes, it is good to spend a few days away from it all. Then I return home rejuvenated and relaxed, ready to reconnect with the wider world.

Thank you, Celia.



No comments:

Post a Comment