“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 14 April 2023

The Joy of Idleness

 The run-up to the Unitarian GA meetings, which took place between 3rd and 6th April, was a very busy time for me. Since I came home, just over a week ago, I have been rediscovering the joy of (occasional) idleness. So I was amused to read this week's quotation, by the first century Roman statesman, scholar and philosopher, Cicero: "There is no-one who cannot indulge in doing nothing for once."


I spent a very enjoyable Easter Weekend in the company of my immediate family - my daughter came to visit us on Maundy Thursday and stayed for most of Good Friday, during which we went for a gorgeous walk in Salcey Forest in the Spring sunshine; we enjoyed the company of my son, his partner and her son on Easter Sunday, when we went over to their house for a delicious lunch; and Maz and I went to see the film Dance Crazy on Easter Monday evening. Which was a real blast from the past for both of us, being made up mainly of footage from gigs by live Two Tone bands such as The Selecter, The Specials, The Beat, The Bodysnatchers, Madness, and Bad Manners. Which were all the rage when he and I first became an item. All in all, the long weekend was a lovely antidote to the busyness of the previous weeks.

So I was able to return to work, refreshed, on Tuesday, and am thoroughly enjoying the process of regrounding myself in my calling as District Minister. 

Yet, looking at Cicero's words again, I see that even during the long weekend, when I was resting from work, I was not simply "doing nothing". I much prefer active leisure, rather than loafing around. Even in the evenings, when I'm relaxing in front of the tv, I generally have either some crochet or cross-stitch on the go. In fact, I find Doing Nothing really hard.

Yet I know it is good for me - to spend time each day in stillness and silence, open to the presence of the Spirit around and within me. So each morning I do a short sit on my meditation bench, in front of the shrine in my bedroom, to set me up for the day. It is the only time I can tolerate actually doing *nothing*, as opposed to actively enjoying my leisure time. Doing the things I love nourishes my soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment