“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 13 November 2020

Meditation and Clarity

 I've recently been re-reading my battered copy of Get Some Headspace by ex-Buddhist monk and meditation teacher, Andy Puddicombe. There is a Headspace app, which I signed up to about four years ago, and use as part of my morning sit.



As he writes in his Introduction, "The practise of meditation is about much more than simply sitting down for a set period of time each day. Although it may be a key component, it is just one part of a broader system of mind training that incorporates three distinct aspects... Traditionally, meditation students were taught first how to approach the technique, then how to practise it, before finally learning how to integrate the techniques into their everyday lives."

As I have said before, I am perfectly capable of sitting still for ten (or even twenty) minutes every morning. But bringing my mind to a similar stillness is much more challenging. So I've gone back to basics, and re-read the book. And my morning sit this morning was much the better for it. There can be a peaceful calmness about just sitting, following the breath, if we can learn to focus lightly, but with awareness.

Not engaging with our thoughts and feelings while meditating is a tricky process, and I, like many others, often try too hard. The trick is to acknowledge the thoughts and feelings as they arise, but not to engage with them. He gives the analogy of sitting by a busy road, watching cars go by, and explains that "gentle curiosity" is the key... "observing and noticing what happens to the body and mind as these emotions [and thoughts] come and go, [having] a sense of ease with whatever... is present."

The word "clarity" has been jumping out at me recently. Puddicombe shares the analogy of a pool of clear water - when it is still, we are able to see all the way to the bottom. But if we start to throw pebbles into it, the water becomes murky, unclear. Those pebbles are our thoughts and emotions, disturbing the quiet calm of the water, our meditative mind. 

Puddicombe writes, "The thing to remember about clarity is that what needs to become clear, will naturally become clear. Meditation is not about rooting around in the recesses of the mind, digging up old memories, getting caught up in analysis and trying to make sense of it all. ... Clarity arises in its own time and its own way. Sometimes clarity will mean becoming more aware of the thinking process. At other times the awareness might shift to the emotions or physical sensations. Whatever happens and whatever you become more aware of, allow it to happen naturally."



Which is why I agree with Jean Paul, author of this week's quotation, when he wrote, "Our greatest experiences are not our loudest, but our quietest hours." We live in a complex world, with many demands on our bodies, minds and spirits. The clarity which can come from a regular meditation practice is an essential counterpoint to this. If we can find a place of clarity in our meditation practice, through using gentle curiosity, it may help us to lead more mindful, calm lives.









No comments:

Post a Comment