“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 20 November 2020

Trees are Poems

 Khalil Gibran, author of The Prophet, wrote, "Trees are poems that the earth writes in the sky." When I read that, my heart soared in recognition.



Because that is *exactly* the feeling I get when I walk in Salcey Forest and see the trees outlined against the sky, whether that sky is blue or grey. Each tree unique, whether it is in its prime, or a young sapling, or an old tree somehow clinging to life, finding the strength to bring forth new growth each Spring. As Tolkien wrote in The Lord of the Rings, "some as different as one tree is from another of the same name but quite different growth and history; and some as different as one tree-kind from another, as birch from beech, oak from fir."

All this year, since lockdown began, I walked most days in the Forest, and have watched the trees go through their annual cycle of the budding and new growth and blossom of Spring, through the full-leaved glory of Summer, and the fruits of Autumn, before their leaves started to change colour and fall. And now some of them are naked and splendid, their bare branches writing patterns in the sky. And they are wonderful in their complexity. 

And I love the interplay between trees and the landscape they inhabit. This year, I have posted hundreds of photos on Facebook of beautiful trees... because their beauty fills my heart with wonder and gratitude, that I live on the same planet. The glory of God made manifest in creation.



What fills your heart with wonder? 


No comments:

Post a Comment