“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 11 November 2022

Finite and Infinite

 Thomas Aquinas, the 13th century Dominican friar and theologian, one wrote, "Whatever a finite being conceives is finite."


And yes, I agree, up to a point. I think his point was that only God is infinite, so only God can create something infinite. But his word, "conceives" hints at something else. I Googled "conceive" and every dictionary definition I came across spoke about "forming a plan or idea or design in the mind." Which is the starting point for every human achievement, whether it is a painting, a sculpture, a piece of music, a book, or the beautiful ceiling in the picture above. They all begin with a plan or idea or design in the mind of a finite human being.

And yet I also believe that some things created by human hands, human hearts, human minds can, in one sense, be infinite. I'm talking about the effect they can have on others. When a beautiful object such as the ones I detailed above, is presented to a human being, it can have a catalytic effect on the viewer or listener or reader.

It can even become what the Buddhists call "a finger pointing at the moon", although Joan Chittister, in a fascinating blogpost, gives the Sufis the credit for this saying. She wrote, "The Sufi tell of disciples who, when the death of their master was clearly imminent, became totally bereft. 'If you leave us, Master,' they pleaded, 'how will we know what to do?' And the master replied, 'I am nothing but a finger pointing t the moon. Perhaps when I am gone you will see the moon.' The meaning is clear: it is God that religion must be about, not itself. When religion makes itself God, it ceases to be religion."

Nevertheless, I do believe that finite creations - which enter our minds and hearts directly through our senses, even religions, can play a role in our spiritual growth by helping us to sense the infinite presence of the Divine. But we have to remember that they are only fingers pointing at the moon, not the moon itself. The distinction is important, and absolute.


No comments:

Post a Comment