“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 25 November 2022

What Can We Rely On?

 The 16th century philosopher, Michel Eyquem de Montaigne, once wrote, "That which we can least rely on, is ourselves."



And my first reaction was, "that's a bit depressing." Because in this frenetic century, many people believe that the *only* thing they can rely on is themselves. Which is sad.

Then I thought again. Many thoughtful people have commented that this yearning for independence, this belief that the individual has to be front and centre, is the ego speaking, not the soul. I would rather say that because all of us are deeply interconnected, not only with each other, but also with all other living things, we must rely on those connections to live fruitful and fulfilling lives. 

Two of the Unitarian Universalist Association's Seven Principles find a balance between these two points of view. The First Principle reads: "We affirm the inherent worth and dignity of every person."
While the Seventh Principle reads: "We affirm and promote the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part."

So yes, every person has inherent worth and dignity, and each has "that of God" in them. At the same time, no-one can only rely on themselves, so it is necessary to be aware of and to interact with the "interdependent web of all existence" so that we are in relationship, in community with the wider world. 

We can rely on ourselves, but we also need to rely on others...


No comments:

Post a Comment