“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 17 March 2023

A Refreshing Journey

 The 19th century German poet, Friedrich Hebbel tells us, "A journey is a drink from the source of life." 


In which case, I ought to be the most well-hyrdrated person I know, because most of last year and the first three months of this have been spent travelling around England and Wales, visiting Unitarian congregations as President of the General Assembly. I'm not sure how many thousand miles I have driven, but it is a lot. And the long journeys have mostly been refreshing, due to my habit of listening to audio books while I drive. This year I have listened to several Great Courses, some of which have provided good material for services, as well as His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, Under Milk Wood by Dylan Thomas (the original recording with Richard Burton as First Voice) and other fiction titles. It has made all the journeying pleasant, and has meant that I haven't got stressed when I have been stuck in traffic.

Of course, I don't think that was what Hebbel meant! When we visit new places, experiencing them can open a door in our hearts and souls. I can think of several holidays I've taken with my husband which have had that effect. Notably, attending the Passion Play in Oberammergau in 1990, being breathless with wonder at the beauty of the Austrian Tyrol, visiting new cities and immersing ourselves in their culture and history (Paris, Amsterdam, Krakow, Prague, Nuremberg, Berlin, Dresden and Leipzig spring to mind), and one wonderful tour around the countryside surrounding Paris, visiting some glorious Gothic cathedrals. And this September, we plan to celebrate our Ruby Wedding anniversary by spending a week in Vienna and another in Salzburg. Perfect!

Each new place has nourished my mind, my heart and my soul. I have sensed the Spirit's presence everywhere, even when visitng places with terrible associations, like the Nuremberg Arena and the concentration camps of Auschwitz and Birkenau. I think that what Hebbel is saying is that if we journey to a new place with open heart and mind, we will be able to take in what it has to offer of wisdom and life - Life with a capital L. And witness to what has happened there, whether recently, or long centuries ago.

Which journeys have enabled you to drink from the source of life?






No comments:

Post a Comment