“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 24 March 2023

Onwards and Upwards Forever?

The German poet, Heinrich Heine, was a born in 1797 and died in 1856. So he spent most of his life in the first half of the 19th century, when human, industrial and technological progress was seen as an unambiguous good. He wrote, "I believe in progress. I believe humanity is destined for happiness."


Sadly, in the 175 years since his death, we have come to understand that progress is far from being a universal good. It wasn't then, and it isn't now. Back then, all the industrial and technological progress came at a price ignored by many - the terrible working conditions of the industrial poor, and the exploitation of people and lands all over the world. 

Early next month, a book will be published by the Lindsey Press, called Cherishing the Earth - Nourishing the Spirit. I have been fortunate enough to get a sneak preview. Edited by Unitarian minister Maria Curtis, it presents a variety of responses by Unitarians - lay people, ministers and children - to the global ecological crisis we are currently facing. As it says in the publicity, "their insights range from the prophetic and political to the practical and intensely personal." And all the contributors are clear that we are in this situation because of our past and present blindness to the downsides of "progress" and that we urgently need to Do Something before it is too late. If it is not already too late... It is well worth a read.

I believe that if we are to save our beloved blue and green planet, we will need to make extensive changes to how we live our lives, far beyond putting stuff out for recycling. Each of us has a responsibility, both to the planet and to future generations, to both make greener choices as individuals and to find ways collectively to make a difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment