“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 10 March 2023

How Flowers Lift the Heart

 I have to say that I agree with the Japanese saying, "If you want to be cheerful, if you want to be happy, surround yourself with flowers." 


Because, unless you are unfortunate enough to suffer from hay fever, flowers do have the power to lift our hearts. Their delicate beauty, their fragrance, the brightness of their colours (even if scientifically, I know that this is to attract insects and nothing to do with us!) always lift my spirits. And I love being presented with a bouquet of flowers for a special occasion.

Flowers have the power to lift our spirits whether they are shy woodland flowers or gorgeous hothouse blooms. I'm no gardener, but I love watching Gardeners' World, to see all the beautiful flowers which other people grow. 

Flowers are also signposts of the seasons. The snowdrops are nearly over now (ironic, as we are currently "enjoying" the first real snow of the winter, even though it is technically spring) and are making away for grape hyacinths and daffodils and purple, lilac, deep yellow and white crocuses in people's gardens, and celandines in the woods. They will be followed by pale yellow primroses and by blossom on the trees - white and pink for the most part, but also bright yellow. And of course, bluebells and tulips of all colours. Later on, the roses will begin to flower as well as the many more exotic garden flowers - including dahlias, peonies, zinnias, all of which I love to see on Gardeners' World.

The cowslips in the picture are my favourite spring flowers. When I was a little girl, they were much more common than they are now and the field opposite our house used to be full of them in late spring. Their scent is very sweet.

Which flowers lift your heart?


No comments:

Post a Comment