“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 31 March 2023

Our Childlike Hearts

 This week's quotation, by the Chinese philosopher, Mengzi, tells us, "A great man is he who does not lose his childlike heart."


And I agree that "childlike-ness" is an important quality for us to nurture in ourselves. Childlike, not childish. For me, being childlike, means being open and vulnerable and trusting and curious, rather than closed down, armoured up, mistrustful and cynical. 

Of course, it means that we are more vulnerable to being hurt by others. And when we have been hurt in the past, it may be very difficult for us to trust others again, to trust that the universe is not (all appearances to the contrary, sometimes) "out to get us." 

But I do think it is a rewarding, if sometimes challenging, way to live. Jesus has two things to say about little children. The versions I have taken are from the tenth chapter of the Gospel of Mark. He says, "Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs." Then a breath later, he underscores this by saying, "Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it."

It is not an easy message for most of us adults to hear. Jesus seems to be saying that we need to open our hearts, to accept the world as it comes. Which ain't easy.  Yet I have found that when I am closed down, armoured up, mistrustful and cynical, I think the worst of others, I become defensive and bitter. And I don't want to live my life like that. I want to believe the best of others, I want to reach out with love and compassion and curiosity. I want to be as brave as a little child. I want to trust that the universe is (on the whole) a benevolent place in which to live. Is that naive of me? Quite possibly. Does it make me happier? Defnitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment