“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 20 March 2020

Love Opens Doors

Rabindranath Tagore, the Bengali poet and short-story writer (among other talents) wrote, "Whoever does good, knocks on the door; whoever loves, finds it open."


As we all hunker down to live our new lives under COVID-19, I have been encouraged and uplifted by the amount of good deeds and loving that is going on in the world, in my neighbourhood and in my country.

To be sure, there are still some selfish people, who are operating from places of scarcity and fear, who are hoarding toilet rolls and pasta, in deep fear of an almost entirely fictitious Armageddon. But most of the people I know, both online and in person, are taking a far more pragmatic, and un-selfish approach to life. Unitarian ministers and lay worship leaders / congregation leaders are producing online resources to share with their congregations, coming up with ingenious ways to keep in touch with them while the physical distancing rules are in force, and generally trying to do their best in very difficult circumstances.  I have found the willingness, even eagerness, of the fit and healthy, to care for the less fortunate among us, very heartening.

This virus is undoubtedly the most life-changing thing most of us have come across, in our whole lives. I believe that how we respond to it, both individually, and as a society, will have a great effect on how well we come through it. If we do the best that we can to look after ourselves, support others, or receive support graciously and with gratitude, we will come out of this better and stronger than before. But if we allow fear to overcome common sense, it will be a very long few weeks or months.

Yes, there are things we cannot control - how long this will last, its effects on the economy, and on our individual lives. Yes, we are afraid for the well-being of our loved ones. But there are also things we can control - mainly our own attitudes, our willingness to take each day as it comes, sensible adherence to the physical distancing regulations (because this is not about "social" distancing at all - there are many other ways to keep in touch) and to do our best to remain as positive as we can, and get through this somehow.

Bright blessings to all my readers - may you be well, may you be happy, may you be free from harm, may you find peace. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Deliciously sweet ! Did you consider a marketing plan for the book ? To gather initial reviews, try usabookreviewers.com . If I can interest you in a book trailer, let me know. I can do 1 for free !

    ReplyDelete