“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Thursday 3 September 2020

Bring Me Sunshine

"Whoever banishes friendship from life, removes the sun from the world." These words, by Cicero, made me think of the song which Morecambe and Wise used to finish their shows with (apologies for the ear worm):

"Bring me sunshine, in your smile,
Bring me laughter, all the while.
In this world where we live
there should be more happiness
so much joy you can give
to each brand new bright tomorrow.

Make me happy, through the years
Never bring me, any tears
Let your arms be as warm
as the sun from up above.
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine
Bring me love."

And yes, friendship does bring much-needed sunshine into our lives. All of us will have times when we feel down, and wonder why we bother to get up in the morning, as there seems to be nothing to look forward to, nothing worth fighting for.

At times such as these, friends are vital. If we can share our troubles with someone who loves us "just the way we are", the chances are that we will be able to get over the bad patch and realise that yes, life is worth living, and that yes, we do have the courage to face whatever comes our way. Such friendship is beyond price - it can make the difference between surviving and living, between hurt and wholeness. It involves compassion and love and, practiced purely, it is one of the most healing influences in the world. It may not involve laying down our lives for someone else, but it means putting that person's happiness before our own, because we cannot truly be happy if they are sad.

Anais Nin once wrote, "Each friend represnets a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that the new world is born."

Spirit of Life and Love,
All of us have friends,
all of us are friends.
May we understand the huge importance
of these connections in our lives.
May we appreciate our friends:
their kindness, their loyalty,
their ongoing, unchanging love for us,
warts and all.
And may we be such friends - 
not falling away when the going gets rough,
but always there for each other,
steadfast in our love,
ready to celebrate each other's joys,
empathise with each other's concerns,
and treating one another
as we would like to be treated ourselves,
knowing that the ripples of our compassion
will flow out into the world,
making it a happier, gentler place.
Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment