“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 26 February 2021

Sometimes you just have to go with the flow

 This week's quotation, by the splendidly named Halldor Laxness, reads, "Whoever always asks about the purpose of things will never discover their beauty."


We Unitarians, and religious folk in general, I guess, are often interested in the purpose and meaning of things - of life itself, and what comes after. We read books and articles, attend conferences and retreats, all to go deeper into the purpose and meaning of things. And that is good, and necessary.

But sometimes, just sometimes, it is better to just forget about all that and lose ourselves in the awe and wonder that is life. I often feel this when I am out in the Forest, like I was this Tuesday. The sun was shining, the birds were singing and the signs of Spring were everywhere. And I found myself filled with awe and gratitude for the beauty all around me. I felt like shouting alleluias and felt surrounded by the grace of God. The trees around me looked like the pillars of a cathedral.



And so I stopped and gave thanks. Sometimes, you just have to go with the flow.






No comments:

Post a Comment