“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 23 April 2021

Beauty through Joy

 French philosopher and mystic, Simone Weil, wrote, "Through joy the beauty of the world penetrates our soul." 


And yes, I agree with her. But I'm not sure about the order in which it happens. I can go for a walk in Salcey Forest feeling quite anxious about something, and it is the beauty of the forest which penetrates my soul, and then the joy happens.

Yet I guess it is also true that when we are feeling joyful, it is easier for us to perceive the beauty of the world. For example, the way my heart lifts when I turn right off the A623 towards Foolow, and know that the Nightingale Centre is only a matter of minutes away. A sensation which I guess will be well known to many Unitarians from the South and the Midlands.



John O'Donohue has a beautiful blessing, For Beauty:

As stillness in stone to silence is wed,
May solitude foster your truth in word.
As a river flows in ideal sequence,
May your soul reveal where time is presence.
As the moon absolves the dark of distance,
May your style of thought bridge the difference.
As the breath of light awakens colour,
May the dawn anoint your eyes with wonder.
As spring rain softens the earth with surprise,
May your winter places be kissed by light.
As the ocean dreams to the joy of dance,
May the grace of change bring you elegance.
As clay anchors a tree in light and wind,
May your outer life grow from peace within.
As twilight pervades the belief of night,
May beauty sleep lightly within your heart.

As I transcribed his beautiful words, my heart was filled with joy. Amen, amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment