“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 22 October 2021

Reaching New Shores

 The 19th century German poet, Friedrich Rückert wrote, "It is only possible to reach new shores by meeting other people."


And I absolutely agree with him, in so far as we learn most of what we know, most of what influences us, most of what is useful to us, from other people. If we never came under the influence of the thoughts and wisdom of others, it would be far harder for us grow, to become the best people we can be.

I have certainly had my mind and spirit opened and expanded by interactions with many Unitarians, particularly at Summer School and when I have the (now rare) chance to receive worship, rather than leading it. And have been supported on my Unitarian journey by many friends and colleagues.

But I do not think it is necessary to actually *meet* other people face to face in order to learn from them, to reach new shores because of them. I have never met many of the people who have had deep and strong influences on my life, face to face. One of these is my first spiritual director, a UUA minister whom I only met via Skype. But she had a huge influence on my life and on my spiritual growth.

I have also been greatly influenced in my journeys as a Unitarian and as a writer, by the authors of the books I love. Richard Rohr, John O'Donohue, Rainer Maria Rilke, Hafiz, the authors of Quaker Advices and Queries on my Unitarian journey, and J.R.R. Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson, David Eddings, Anne Lamott, Liz Gilbert and Stephen King on my writing journey. 

It is also possible to be influenced by marvellous quotes on Facebook feeds, by podcasts and by speakers on YouTube. If we are willing to be open to new ideas, the possibilities of learning, of reaching new shores through our learning, are endless.

I have never met any of the authors I have mentioned above, yet their words have influenced me profoundly. I believe that one of the greatest gifts we can give ourselves is to be open to the wisdom of others. 

Who has enabled you to reach new shores?





No comments:

Post a Comment