“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 19 November 2021

Discovering Our Wings

 The 20th century Mexican painter Frida Kahlo wrote, "Art and love are the wings that carry us to heaven." 


And yes, they are certainly two of them. But I think the wings that carry us to heaven are many and varied, not just art and love. The wings that help each of us to "heaven" will be unique to each person. And they may be things we do ourselves, or experiences that happen to us.

And I guess it depends what we mean by "heaven". I don't think that Frida Kahlo meant the realm of God and his [sic] angels when she wrote this. My Concise Oxford Dictionary gives several definitions and the one I think she was referring to is "place or state of supreme bliss or great delight."

I can only speak for myself. A contemplative walk in Salcey Forest, or surrounded by beautiful lakes and mountains is one of my surest, most reliable routes to the experience of heaven. Or spending time with the people I love. Or the process of creation, whether that is with a pen or a crochet hook.

I believe that heaven can also be found in our experiences. For example, a moment of deep connection with another person or other people can feel like heaven. I can remember attending a showing of the first Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, with my husband and children and at the end, the entire audience broke into applause. 

The shared joy of common experiences can be found in many places, if we are awake enough to notice them - singing together, walking on a Pride march, the Anniversary Service of our General Assembly meetings, having a deep conversation, heart-to-heart, with another person.

What are your wings?

No comments:

Post a Comment