“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 10 December 2021

The Wonderful in the Everyday

When I woke up this morning, the sky was blue and clear - such a joy after the torrential rain of the past few days - I might even go for a walk (well wrapped-up) later. Which fits well with this week's quotation, from American writer Pearl S. Buck, who wrote, "The true wisdom of life is to see the wonderful in the everyday." I have written about the wonder I feel when I walk in Salcey Forest many times, particularly here.


Yet wonder is not only to be found in the natural world. I remember some years ago,I blogged about being in Tesco's one December morning, slogging through the crowded store, feeling very bah-humbuggerish, when I saw a small child in a pushchair gazing with wonder and delight at the Christmas decorations on the ceiling. They weren't "ho, hum, just another Christmas" to him, they were a source of wonder. He taught me a lesson I have never quite forgotten. "Out of the mouths (and eyes) of babes..."

So this year, in spite of torrential rain, and the potential of a new lockdown cause by the Omicron variant of Covid, I'm going to make a strong effort to be aware of, to live in the wonder and appreciate the beauty and wonder all around me.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment