“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Saturday 4 June 2022

The Importance of Rest

I love this week's quotation, from Psalm 116: "Return, O my soul, to your rest, for the Lord has dealt bountifully with you."


Which fits in beautifully with my mood at this moment. I'm just back from a gorgeous week's holiday in Solva / Solfach in Pembrokeshire. The weather has been glorious - blue skies and sunshine every day, and we walked along the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, visited St David's, poofled around Solva and generally had a wonderful time. The Lord did indeed deal bountifully with us. And I am so grateful. When we awoke to an overcast sky this morning, we knew our holiday must be over.

Most importantly, I have rested, relaxed, and not worried about anything. We got up when we felt like it (except on one day, when we had to be at the RNLI station in St Justinian for a boat trip out to Ramsey Island, at 10.00 am); ate what and when we felt like - Pembrokeshire has several *wonderful* icecream shops - and I felt my soul exhale. 

No-one is meant to work and work, 24/7. We all need a regular interval of peace in which to be still and allow our souls to catch up with us. Not often a whole week, but I try to ensure that I have one day in the week when I do not do anything work-related. I might go out for a day-trip with my Dearly Beloved, or might just go for a walk in the Forest, then do some writing and some crochet. 

When did you last rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment