“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 27 January 2023

Oh! To Be A Cat!

 This week's quotation, by 19th century novelist Samuel Butler, reads, "All living beings except man know that the main purpose of life is to enjoy it." And it is accompanied by a picture of a very contented looking cat - see below.


And, while I do not agree with Butler entirely - the purpose of life for many living beings seems to be either to survive long enough to procreate, and then die (like mayflies) or to not be eaten by another creature (like many small animals). Not much enjoyment there...

Nevertheless, I would agree with him in the case of much loved pets, such as cats and dogs. There is a cartoon showing a man taking his dog for a walk, with a thought bubble coming from the heads of each. And whereas the man is thinking about all kinds of things, oblivious of the beauty around him, unaware of the joy of the walk, the dog's thoughts are firmly fixed in the present - he is enjoying his walk with his human.

And cats seem to be the same... or at least, well-loved and pampered cats seem to be the same. If I believed in reincarnation, I would like to come back as a loved and spoiled cat. Like my Luna. Who seems to spend most of her life curled up on either my knee (if it is available) or a comfortable chair or bed. She is fed twice a day, and has the freedom to come and go as she likes, through the cat flap. She is entirely without responsibilities, except perhaps to keep us happy by seeming to enjoy our company.


When I'm feeling tired or stressed, I sometimes think wistfully that I would like to change places with her. But not seriously - I have learned to embrace my complex, wonderful life, and to appreciate that we have to "welcome and attend them all"  - both joys and sorrows, pleasures and frustrations - as Rumi says in his poem, The Guesthouse. Our ability to do this is what makes us human.




No comments:

Post a Comment