“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 7 April 2023

The Importance of Detail

 Georges Braque was a 20th century painter, who was involved in both the Fauvism and Cubism movements, and who worked closely with Pablo Picasso. Which knowledge makes this week's quote by him, "It's the detail that keeps it entertaining and lively"illuminating.

Because I guess he means (in the context of his painting) it is this brushstroke, that choice of colour which makes the difference. And I believe that this is not only true for painters; but also for writers and other creators. Whether we choose to express our creativity with paints, pencils, words, threads, clay or yarn (or any other medium), it is the details that lift our work out of the ordinary and into the realm of being "entertaining and lively."

Unfortunately, the version of Blogger on my PC is not allowing me to upload this week's photo, which is of delicate mauve and purple pansies growing out of what look like eggshells. In which it is indeed the detail that make the image.

I have always believed that poetry is "the best words in the best order", to quote Samuel Taylor Coleridge. On many occasions, my breath has been taken away by the juxtaposition of words and images in unexpected order. There is the moment of savouring, then the excitement as the meaning sinks in. I have blogged about this before, here. 

I am just home from our Unitarian General Assembly annual meetings, during which many words were spoken (including quite a lot by me, during the plenary sessions!) For me, the highlight of the week was the Anniversary Service, which had the title, Justice does not just happen: Showing up for Justice. Revs. Kate Dean and Stephanie Bisby were the service leaders, and Rev Winnie Gordon was the Anniversary Preacher, and their words went straight to the hearts of their hearers. 

Thank God for all creators, who keep our world entertaining and lively.

No comments:

Post a Comment