“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 15 December 2023

The Difference a Week Makes

When I wrote last week's blogpost, I was still feeling fairly fragile, it being only a couple of days since my foot surgery. But now, only seven days later, I have little or no pain, have become a dab hand with my crutches and am feeling quite chipper. Admittedly, I am still confined to my chair except for the hourly, obligatory hurple around the downstairs rooms to keep my muscles toned and the danger of a blood clot minimised, but I'm fine. Really fine. In fact, I'm revelling in the chance to spend my days writing and crocheting without guilt, as the District has generously granted me a period of sick leave. 


So this week's quotation, by the 19th century humorist and author, Prentice Mulford, really struck home. He wrote, "When you think bright things, you attract bright things to you." And I'm sure this is true. I believe that it is because I have freely accepted the restrictions of this post-operative period, rather than grousing about and resenting them, that I've healed so well, so far.

Because I can remember a time when it was far otherwise. My son was born via an emergency caesarean section, and I was desperately upset that I had "missed" his birth through being under a general anaesthetic. Looking back, I am sure that is why I had so much trouble with my section scar, which remained painful for nearly three years. At the time, I used to joke that the hospital porter had stitched me up, but actually, I now believe that I stitched myself up. I was so down on myself and my body, it is not surprising she took so long to heal.

I honestly think that our minds have a huge (if often sub-conscious) influence on our bodies.  And that it is up to us to live in harmony with all the different parts which make us human - our bodies, our minds and our spirits (souls). Living in a way which the American sociologist BrenĂ© Brown calls "wholeheartedly" can only be good for us. Or so I have found.




No comments:

Post a Comment