“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 26 April 2024

Living with Passion

The 16th century philosopher, René Descartes, once wrote, "Trying to live without philosophising is like keeping your eyes closed without thinking about opening them."


And, while I don't quite agree with him, what I do agree with is the spirit behind the words. I think that what he is saying, is that in order to live a full and satisfying life, it is necessary to be passionate about something. In his case, it was philosophy.

Which made me wonder what I need so strongly that I am passionate about it. And I came up with four answers: the love of my family and close friends; walking in nature (particularly Salcey Forest, or by lakes, mountains and the sea); reading books; and being creative, whether that is in the form of writing, or crochet, or cross-stitch. When I am engaged in or with any of those activities, I am blissfully happy. I can spend inordinate amounts of time doing them, and never get bored or fed up. Time passes by in a flash and I don't want whatever it is to come to an end.

Which has occasionally got me into trouble... whenever a new book by a favourite author comes out, I am avid to read it, and actively resent any time spent away from it until that first blissful reading is done. Then I go back for a more leisurely second reading, which can be interrupted.

Which doesn't mean to say that I neglect the other parts of my life. My Protestant work ethic is too strong for that. Rather, it means that I get them done and dusted as quickly as possible, so that I can return to my passions. Today, for example, I estimate that I have a couple of hours of work to do, after which I plan to settle down with the baby blanket I'm crocheting for my daughter's yet-to-be-born son, and will probably spend most of the rest of the day on it, stopping only for meals. During which time, I will be as happy as a pig in clover.

What are you passionate about?

No comments:

Post a Comment