“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 18 December 2020

We are the Sunbeams

 Yesterday, I had a session with my spiritual director, which was rich and good. And towards the end of it, we spoke of our relationship with God, and he shared the revelation that there is no separation between us and God, "not even the shadow of a hair's breadth".




In the past, I have felt moments of connection with the Divine, whatever we name Him/Her/It. But the idea that there is *no* separation between us was new to me - or maybe I was not ready to receive it before. My spiritual director said that it would take time for this idea to move from my head to my heart, that I would have to sit with it for a long time before I truly experienced it. And I believe that.

But this morning, I was mulling over what he had said, during my morning sit, and these words came to me (the first image came from my director, the rest from me):

God is the sun, we are the sunbeams,
we are emanations of God.
God is the Light within us all,
reflecting and connecting with the Light around us.
God is the water, we are the ripples,
caught up in the Divine Flow.
God is the air, we are the breath,
each breath in, a breath of Life,
each breath out, a breath of Love.
God is the One Tree, we are the branches,
growing out of the Source of Being.
God is the fire, we are the sparks,
lighting up our universe from within.
God is Love, we are lovers,
sharing, caring, healing, understanding.
There is no separation between us,
"not even the shadow of a hair's breadth."
We are working parts of God.

I believe that sitting with this will give me enough purpose and meaning for a lifetime...




No comments:

Post a Comment