“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 19 March 2021

Everything Flows

 These words, "Everything flows and nothing stays [the same]" typify the philosophy of Ancient Greek philosopher, Heraclitus of Ephesus. According to Wikipedia, "he was most famour for his insistence on ever-present change - known in philosopy as 'flux' or 'becoming' - as the characteristic feature of the world." He also wrote the well-known saying, "No man ever steps int he same river twice." (who knew?)



And I think they are the truest words I know. Every human being is in a state of constant change, although we go to great lengths to disguise it. Every person, place, event, written or spoken word, social media post we encounter will have a certain impact on us. This may be small, but incrementally, we are in change (or flux) all the time. The person I am today is not the same person as I was yesterday (or even half an hour ago - I've just had a phone call which has brought me joy). But we relate to people *as though* they were exactly the same as the last time we encountered them. 

The Buddhists know this well. They recognise that everything is impermanent, and that if we try to cling to impermanent things, we will never be satisfied. It is perhaps natural to want the good things in our lives to carry on, but this can never happen. Everything changes. Everything. So the trick is to recognise that this is the case, and be able (and willing) to let go. The third of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism is Nirodha, the cessation of suffering. The Buddha taught that the best way to extinguish desire, which causes suffering, is to liberate yourself from attachment. I sometimes think this is a bleak outlook on life - but I recognise that actually, it is realistic, rather than pessimistic. 

Because if *everything* changes, that also applies to bad things in our lives - grief, suffering, pain. And yet we cling to these just as fervently as we do to the good things. How often have we replayed distressful incidents and conversations in our heads, unable to let them go.... and hence bringing them back into the present again? I know I have.

There's an old story, which goes something like this (I can't find it to quote it accurately). Two monks were about to cross a river, when they saw a young woman standing timidly at the bank. The older of the two monks offers to carry her across on his back, and does so. She is grateful and goes on her way.
    The interesting thing about this story is the conversation the two monks have afterwards. The younger monk is shocked that the older monk has had such close physical contact with a woman, and expresses his misgivings forcibly. The older monk turns to him and says, "Carrying her across the river was a kindness to her. I did this, and have moved on. Why are you still carrying her?"

I think the moral of the story is that everything changes, therefore we should not be attached to anything but strive to live in the present, and *be* present in that moment, which is the only instant that Time touches Eternity. 




No comments:

Post a Comment