“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 12 March 2021

*Only* in the woods?

 When I saw the image for this week's quotation, sunlight filtering through the green leaves of trees, I felt at peace.


Then I read the quotation, by Michelangelo, "Peace can only be found in the woods," and thought, "Why only?" If he had said, "peace can be found in the woods", I would have agreed completely. But *only* in the woods?? No, surely not.

When I walk in my local woods, Salcey Forest, I do feel a great sense of peace steal into my soul, especially if the sun is shining. There is something very special about being surrounded by other living things, all going about their business with no regard for humankind. I walk in the forest at all seasons and am filled with awe and wonder at the beauty around me. Whether it is the sky with its endlessly changeful patterns of clouds, the birds filling the air with their calls, or the glory of the trees themselves, walking in the woods makes me feel grounded, at one with the world.





But that little word "only" spoils the entire quotation for me. Because although I do find peace in the woods, I also find peace in other places - worshipping with fellow Unitarians, meditating in front of my shrine each morning, sitting in my lounge, quietly reading or crocheting, in many churches and chapels - I could go on, but you get the point.

Peace is a state of mind, which may be influenced by external factors. I have also *not* felt at peace in all those places. Then I remember the beautiful prayer of St Teresa of Avila:

May today there be peace within.
May I trust God that I am exactly where I am meant to be.
May I not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May I use those gifts I have received,
and pass on the love that has been given to me.
May I be content, knowing I am a child of God.
May this presence settle into my bones,
and allow my soul the freedom
to sing, dance, praise and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

May it be so, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment