“I am only one, but still I am one.
I cannot do everything, but still I can do something.
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something I can do.”

Edward Everett Hale

Friday 22 April 2022

Living Consciously

 The French-born American novelist and short story writer, Anaïs Nin, once wrote, "One's own life, lived consciously, carries one beyond the personal."



Which is an interesting way of looking at it. I have recently (a couple of weeks ago) started the practice known as Morning Pages, outlined by Julia Margaret Cameron in her brilliant book, The Artist's Way. I had tried to do it years ago, but the habit didn't stick. What prompted me to try again was an interview with Cameron in this month's Writing Magazine. She explained that "they are written through the heart and hand - as the pages are written by hand. Because when we do that, we are much more connected to our authentic selves. ... The morning pages are done first thing in the morning and are done longhand.... So they're an effective form of prayer and meditation."

I have realised that they are also a good tool to help us live consciously, authentically. These days we are so used to writing everything (except shopping lists and to-do lists in my case) on the computer rather than longhand. Using pen and paper is a far more meditative practice (or so I have found). I write very much more quickly on a computer and writing by hand forces me to slow down, to be with the process in a more conscious way. 

And I'm so glad I started when I did, so I have been able to record the wonderful experience of being at this year's Unitarian General Assembly meetings - our first meeting in person since 2019. It was fabulous to be back in the company of so many Unitarians - listening together, learning together, worshipping together, making decisions together. After so many months of comparative isolation, it was marvellous to be back in community.

And in my morning pages, I have a permanent record of my impressions, thoughts and feelings, which will help to ground me in the days and months ahead, as I step up to the role of GA President - such a huge honour.


No comments:

Post a Comment